coalition

coalition
kirsten.keun@gmail.com

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

World Cup Swell

No swell or tourists today. Time to reflect, time to plan, time to tell!
The World Cup was a highlight in my career. It started with a three week contract for Triumph Travel, an inbound operator importing hundreds of Argentinos, Uruguaychos and other South Americans.
The guests were curious and surprised at what a top notch destination South Africa is. They came for football and we hope that they will be back as tourists. The tournament saw many underdog countries performing well on the pitch, in line with the underdog host!
 Bafana Bafana's only record was not to pass the group stage, but they beat France! South Africa is acclaimed by many to have been the host of the best World Cup ever. 
After the Group Stages I started to relax and back in Cape Town surfed an epic session at a favourite city surf spot: Sollies. Just before my surf an agent phoned from Johannesburg and asked if I was available for the next three days, in Spanish..
That same night I got introduced to the families of the Spanish Football team in Sun City. It was a great surprise and the best was yet to come.
The highlight of the tournament was our dear Madiba appearing at the final.
Garreth Cliff tweeted that he had a tear in his eye as I felt my own tears running down my cheeks.
It was a total surprise for me to attend the semi-final in Cape Town, where the dear family Savoi invited me in with them, and then at the final as the guide of the winning teams families!
It feels like yesterday that some friends spoke sinically of South Africa hosting the World Cup. Today I read that someone is talking about a new Formula 1 racetrack somewhere, and of course the Olympics in ten years time! May we forget sinicism, and work towards future events that we can potentially stage here!
Every time I work as a tour Guide is an event. I plan to welcome numerous visitors to our lovely country! 
Patiently I wait for Neptune to show and tell me about the next swell on the southern tip of Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

morning safara

morning safara

Cape Town's 12 Apostels

Cape Town's 12 Apostels