coalition

coalition
kirsten.keun@gmail.com

Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Linda getting her Mzansi on.


Chanse Le SA?– Linda Maré
After University I took 3 years to travel and see the world.  I thought I would try and see as much as possible and then find the perfect spot somewhere put down roots and settle down.  Perhaps a little island where the beaches are sandy, the men are strong and where the billionaires hide their money free from tax and the maddening hand of the law.  A life of adventure awaited me filled with old cathedrals designed by geniuses long dead, art, music, secret missions to do secret things and incredible food.  During my travels I did see many of these things I thought I longed for.  Most of the time however after the initial hoo-ha, I was left with a feeling of disappointment.  I’m not taking anything away from majestic Sagrada familia and Sacré-Cœur – but something was missing...
Australopithecus africanus, Australopithecus sediba,
Miriam Makeba,  Khoikhoi herders and Madiba.
Xhosa, Zulu, Swazi ,Ndebele, Tswana, Sepedi,
Rooivalk, Jan van Riebeeck, Cecil John Rhodes and Mbeki.

Table Mountain, Bafana-Bafana, Shaka and Tutu,
The Voortrekkers, Rhino , Braaivleis and  Sotho.
Chakalaka, Kudu, Soweto, Drakensberg and the SAP,
Mrs Bols, Zambuck, Helen Zille, Pofadder, we are free.

Chris Barnard, Percy Fitspatrick, Jock and Saartjie Baardman,
Clegg, District 6, Liewe Heksie, Boabab and the XhoiSan.
Panthera leo, Winelands, Steve Biko, the green and gold,
Pilgrims Rest, Oliver Thambo and seeing a democracy unfold.

This is what was missing… 

Nowhere on God’s green earth will you find a more diverse culture, more colour, better music or more exquisite food.

The most important thing I have learnt from travelling is that I don’t want to live anywhere else in the world than right here, squeezed to the tip of the dark continent between the Atlantic and the Indian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

morning safara

morning safara

Cape Town's 12 Apostels

Cape Town's 12 Apostels